Stu's Stories as at 2022

110 | P a g e James Sneddon (This is a summary of James Sneddon evolved from family stories and combined with my own research. Much is conjecture, but the basis is found in fact.) James Sneddon was born in Polmont, Stirling, Scotland, and christened on 23 May, 1830, the third son of Alexander Sneddon and Mary Bennie (believed married 30 June, 1826, at Muiravonside, Stirling, Scotland). He died in Tamworth, NSW, 8 January, 1911. Other children of Alexander and Mary were: James (b. 12 July 1827, Polmont; died Aug 1827), George (b. 4 December 1828, Polmont), William (c. 30 December 1832, Polmont), Jane Wyper (c. about 1834, County Lanark), and Alexander (c. about 1836, Edinburgh, Scotland). James, with his brothers William and George, arrived in Australia aboard "The Helena" in 1854. From here on part of their story can only be conjecture from family stories heard in part over the years by various members of the family. A number of stories circulated among the families; one being that they were marines who jumped ship to go in search of gold, and upon striking a rich vein, returned and bought their release. However, records show that they arrived as passengers aboard "The Helena" . It is then believed that they worked on the roads. As most road work was done by convicts, it is possible that they were hired to help keep things under control and absconded from this position to seek their fortune in the hills around Nundle, New South Wales. Supporting this theory is the fact that they changed their name to Foley, and it was under this pseudonym that they made their first strike. This mine was called "Foley’s Folly" . It is possible that they then returned to buy their lawful release from whomever they had worked, for they then reverted to their own name of Sneddon. How long they worked "Foley’s Foley" is hard to say, but the next mine was called the "Lady Mary", named after James Sneddon’s wife, Mary (to whom he always referred to as Lady Mary). James married Mary Coulton on 30 December, 1862, at Tamworth, NSW. From this it can be concluded that the "Lady Mary" was not opened until after this time.

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NTgyNzQ=